New Year Thoughts: My Essentials for 2013

Photo source: www.facebook.com/bomerangue
It's the first day of the year and I just can't let it pass without trying to write something about it.

Cliche? Probably. But New Year is all about new beginnings. And new beginnings means starting something that you have not tried to do before. I do not make New Year's resolutions for the mere fact that I have problems actually doing it. So, I just do whatever is needed of me at a certain moment.

I also do not like putting down on paper my goals for the next year or for the next 20 years of my life. In my humble opinion, life is too short to actually be living life under strict compliance with what you've written in a piece of paper for that matter. Sure I've read a lot of books and attended lots of goal-setting/planning seminars but somehow nothing seems to work for me. I did try to make a set of goals when my boss/teacher at an English language center asked me to do one  but I was not able to accomplish any of it. Maybe goal-setting just do not fit my personality type.

But we need to have at least a guide of what we should be doing for the rest of the year, a list of essentials and it should be flexible. We do not exactly know if things are gonna happen but at least we have something to fall back on. This is what we call "practicality".

So this year would be all about what I like to do. Doing something that we love is not work but passion. And all our creative juices comes out when we love what we do and that makes it successful. Being forced to do something because we think we do not have a choice  is the biggest bummer. Not only do we stress ourselves out but we also lose ourselves in the process.

This year though, there are only 6 essential things that I need to do. This is not even a plan or a goal but just a list of what I should be doing daily, but with a twist, for added drama. :)

Worship. This is on the top of my list as this is the food that nourishes our soul. Worshiping and praising God through song and prayer, in the church or in alternative ways, is the most important thing that we should never forgot to do above all.

Write.This January, I have to write one article for a local magazine which I have just finalized which topic to write. I decided to write something about women empowerment, my favorite topic and I hope to get my message across to the women readers of that magazine. If they like it, then they like it and I will be able to certify myself as a writer.

Cook. Later still in the first quarter of this year, my sister and I will be producing a cooking show which I will be hosting. This is something that I wanted to do. Who cares if people will watch it or not. I will watch it. My family will watch it for sure. One thing I am certain, I will be able to do something that I would love to do.

Learn. I have a list of courses from Coursera.org that will start later in January. I signed up for an entrepreneurship course called "Developing New Ideas for New Companies" simultaneous with a psychology course called "The Social Context of Mental Health and Illness". Then my songwriting course will start on March 1.

Work. Of course, I still juggle a full-time job with motherhood. Work is imperative as our pleasures in life will not be realized without taking care of finances.Right?

Nurture. Being a single mom, the sole responsibility of nurturing my children lies within me. Of course family members can help with the development of their well-being but our children need their mothers to nurture them, their personality, their talents as well as their potentials. Mothers like me can intuitively determine and identify our children's unique talents and personalities. Children needs constant nurturing that only a mother can give.

All these can be summed up in three simple words.


Live. Love. Laugh.

After a life-changing 2012, I realized just how precious life is and how life should be lived. I will live my life to the fullest and live as if it there's no tomorrow. Love will forever be an essential. Like worship, it is a food for the soul. I have learned to love myself more because I will not be capable of loving others if I cannot learn to love myself. Love what you do, love others. Laugh. I have not forgotten to laugh nor will i ever forget. Through the pain and the tears, there were still some nerve-wracking laughter that came once in a while. More so now that I am comfortable with the way i live.

As I wrote in my New Year's Facebook status, 2012 was a year of self discovery for me. 2013 will be a continuation of that sans the pain of separation from my children. Being blessed to be given a second chance in life, I did some soul-searching, I seek and I found what I was missing, the formula for life. Now I can say that I have a zest for life once more and an appetite for everything fun and passionate. It's like being born again, not just in faith but more of like re-inventing myself. And this year, I know in my heart that blessings will be overflowing.

Keeping the faith,

Mei




0 comments

Articles Featured on

Articles Featured on

Ads