How Depression Affects Us


I have always been open with my experience with depression and this blog has been my medium for sending out information about this disease that cripples many. I still have my bouts but the good thing is I already know what triggers it so as much as possible, I try to stay away from those that triggers it.

Recently, an executive from Healthline, Maggie Danhakl, Assistant Marketing Manager of Healthline.com saw my posts about depression on this blog and contacted me and informed me about a newly-released infographic on how to detect depression. The infographic is interactive and you can click on a particular part of the body and how depression affects it. I particularly liked that infographic because it gives a broader explanation of how the disease will alter the regular or normal functions of a certain part of your body.

Photo: healthline.com

View this interactive infographic, click the link below:




Depression does not only affect the mind but your whole being. It does not only affect how you feel but your entire perspective of life and even death. Because less are informed about the symptoms and signs of depression, they usually associate it with just being sad or anxious. You should be able to differentiate just being sad, or anxious to being clinically depressed. Again, knowing what is normal and not is important, not just for you but also for your loved ones.

According to Healthline, depression is a mental disorder, but it can affect your physical health and wellbeing.  It generally affects the central nervous system, digestive system, cardiovascular and immune systems.


To illustrate more on how depression can alter your physical appearance, below is a photo taken 2 years ago. I know this may be embarrassing to show but what's important is I have taken steps to overcome my depression. I don't want to go back there again, and I certainly don't want any of my family, friends or loved ones to be that depressed, and so I am here again with one of my advocacies, help disseminate information on the symptoms and effects of depression.

This is me 2 years ago. This is what depression did to me, this is a year after my suicide attempt. 




This is me now. Notice the resemblance? I was able to reclaim my life. Knowing what triggers your depression and how
to control it is essential. Most importantly, after medication and having surrendered my life to someone bigger than me and my problems and sickness, to God, I know that I will be able to continue living my life happily.





Always keep the faith,

Mei


0 comments

Articles Featured on

Articles Featured on

Ads