To Remember Me


The day will come when my body will lie upon a white sheet neatly tucked under four corners of a mattress located in a hospital; busily occupied with the living and the dying. At a certain moment a doctor will determine that my brain has ceased to function and that, for all intents and purposes, my life has stopped. 



When that happens, do not attempt to instill artificial life into my body by the use of a machine. And don't call this my deathbed. Let it be called the bed of life, and let my body be taken from it to help others lead fuller lives. 

Give my sight to the man who has never seen a sunrise, a baby's face or love in the eyes of a woman. 

Give my heart to a person whose own heart has caused nothing but endless days of pain. 

Give my blood to the teenager who was pulled from the wreckage of his car, so that he might live to see his grandchildren play. 

Give my kidneys to the one who depends on a machine to exist from week to week. 

Take my bones, every muscle, every fiber and nerve in my body and find a way to make a crippled child walk. 

Explore every corner of my brain. 


Take my cells, if necessary, and let them grow so that, someday a speechless boy will shout at the crack of a bat and a deaf girl will hear the sound of rain against her window. 



Burn what is left of me and scatter the ashes to the winds to help the flowers grow. 

If you must bury something, let it be my faults, my weakness and all prejudice against my fellow man. 

Give my sins to the devil. 

Give my soul to God.

If, by chance, you wish to remember me, do it with a kind deed or word to someone who needs you. If you do all I have asked, I will live forever. 

-Robert N. Test






No, this is not my last will and testament.

That was a poem written by Robert N. Test about organ donation.

I'm sorry if I post something that has to do with death.
I fell in love with this poem when I was still in high school.

Many people fear death. They do not even want to talk about it.
I do too. 
But that's just because I think that at this moment in my life,
I am not yet done with my purpose.
My children still needs me.
My future partner has yet to meet me.:)


Funny how your perspective in life can change. 
In an instant.
If you've been following my blog and have read from the start.
You'd know that I attempted suicide many times.
I lost count.
Not because I do not fear death. 
I just didn't have respect for life.
In the past.
Maybe.


And then I realized that if I were to die today,
I don't want my death to be meaningless.
I want to be remembered as a simple woman.
With extraordinary contributions in other's lives
Not as a woman who tried to end her life many times.
A very scary idea to even think about.

I don't want to be buried.
Even in death, I think I'd still be scared.
I want to be cremated.
So my ashes can either be placed in a pot where a new life can grow.
Or scattered in the lake.
Or thrown in the wind.
Free.




But, I now have another option.
Organ donation.
I want what's still functioning in me be given to someone who will make something out of it.
When I'm gone.
That's going to make me live longer.
A part of me, in someone else's body.
It would be like an extension of my life,
Many will be happy.
Burn what's left of me.



My cornea's up for donation.
But my recipient may have to wear glasses.
-275. Both eyes. 
My kidneys, lungs and brain are all in good condition.
Except for my heart.
It's battered and torn.
Still needs some time to heal.




Only God knows when our time here on earth will end.
All we need to do is make our life worthwhile and unforgettable.
Until then.
At the end of the day we ask ourselves this:
Did I make any difference in someone's life today?
How do I want people to remember me when I'm gone ?

I want to be remembered as:




A mother.
A mother who will fight for her children and provide for everything they need.


A risk-taker.
Adventurous,young and free-spirited
A woman who fight for equality and for our rights.
A lover who will go to the depths and heights to have the feeling of love forever.
Someone who is never afraid to try to walk the road less taken,
trustworthy,
faithful,
loyal.


A friend, a sister and a daughter.
Someone who never gives up on things that matters.


How do you want to be remembered?






For more information on organ donation:
Integrated Program on Organ Donation.
Republic Act No.7170 or the Organ Donation Act of 1991.













0 comments

Articles Featured on

Articles Featured on

Ads