To Forgive Is To Be Free

In connection to my previous post about letting go, I think that one of the ways that we can let go is to forgive. I have written so much about forgiveness, because I believe, based on my personal experience, that unless we forgive, we lose too much.

But forgiving is easier said than done. It would take a great soul to forgive someone easily. And to instantly forgive is what only extraordinary people can do. We “normal human beings” would take an entire process to finally give our forgiveness to those who wronged us.

Photo: rodarters.wordpress.com

I am not a saint nor do I pretend to be one. I have my days. Even though I said that I have already forgiven them who wronged me, there are still times that I react to something they do or say.  It is easier to forgive someone who just broke your heart. It is easier to forgive someone who accused you of so many things. But is forgiving easy to someone who molested you or someone who nearly raped you?

Can we just choose whom we should only forgive? Does our forgiveness rely on the weight of how much we got hurt by an act? When do we start to forgive?

I have read so many stories about forgiveness, the latest was about one Iranian mother who forgave her son’s killer by stopping the public execution. She went over to the man, slapped him and released the noose that was already on his neck. Such a wonderful act of forgiveness! 

Photo: verybestquotes..com


During the recollection that I attended, the second day was all about reconciliation or forgiveness.  I was able to reflect on how much I was fearing because I wasn’t forgiving. I realized that I was already choking. Blessings and love wasn’t flowing through me because I was being choked by my past hurts, negative emotions , rejections and failures.

Oftentimes, I mask all these emotions with work. I drown myself with work, in the hopes of not being able to feel, to be numb.

Forgiveness is a process. Since we are but human, I believe that we need to go through a processing of emotions before we could fully forgive. On the other hand, there is also a system of forgiveness. Here ‘s what I learned about the system of forgiveness (in the words of Bro. Mike Vinas):

-          -Forgiveness is as essential as breathing.  As fast as they offend you, you have to let it go. ( I guess this is where I fail at.)
-         - Anger must have an expiration date. In Ephesians 4:26 it says something like do not let the sun go down on your anger. On the lighter side, you have until 5:59 to get angry at someone. Too bad if the sun go down earlier than that. J
-          -Forgiveness is a gift you give yourself.
-         - Forgiveness is for your freedom and future.

“In every relationship, we would always be constantly called on to ask for forgiveness and to forgive.”- Bro. Arun Gogna

We cannot really escape having to forgive someone.  By living, it means having relationships of all sorts. And when we enter into a relationship with someone, we give that person the ability to hurt us. 

Photo: meetville.com


"The moment we love, we give the person the power to hurt us." - Fr. Dave Concepcion

I still am a work in progress. I still have a long way to go. But I cannot say that I will stop loving because I can’t forgive. In fact, my love tank’s starting to fill now. And with this, I am hopeful to be able to forgive.

Something to  ponder on:

Who am I to be so unforgiving, when I myself am a sinner?

Keep the faith,



0 comments

Articles Featured on

Articles Featured on

Ads