Fallen Leaves and My Big Feet


Every morning I take a walk to the convenience store just very near our place. Walking gives me the freedom to think random thoughts. In the busyness of my life, I seldom have time to reflect on things, one that I would really allot time for, so, what I do is to take short walks and that makes up my workout for the day.

I go to a store called Godsend, and I go there everyday I should be given shares of stock for free for the amount of grocery I spend on them every day. Why I like going there despite the fact that they are 3 pesos over the price from other stores is because of the songs that they are playing. They only play Christian songs and because of that I can sing along to the tune of "How Great is Our God" while busy looking for the things I need to buy.

But, that is another story.

So, while I was walking, I was absent-mindedly kicking the dried leaves that have fallen on the ground.And I thought, why are there still dry leaves on the ground at that time of the day, when the rest of us have already cleaned our front yards. And then a sudden gush of wind blew and swept away the leaves on the ground. It landed on the other side of the road.

And then I thought again, why did the wind not blew the leaves right off from the branch to where it's supposed to be blown away so that the leaves would not be scattered all over the place and would not suffer being crushed by big feet walking around.

 And that was an A-ha! moment for me. A big one.

Walking back, I saw that the area where the leaves were previously scattered was already cleared. I realized that the leaves fell from the tree when they were at the worst part of their lives. And it became worse because they were stepped upon when they hit the ground. And all they can do is to lie there on the ground being still and wait for the wind to blow them away to their next destination.

Something to ponder on:

We are like the leaves. Life gives us variety. Sometimes we are at the pinnacle of bliss, and sometimes we fall down. And this is the worst part of our lives. We hit rock bottom, people step on us more because we think there is nothing we can do at that specific time in our life. We think that there's nothing we can do unless someone picks us up and help us stand up.

But there is one thing that we can do when we hit rock bottom. We keep still and go back to the God that we know.

I have never fully understood the meaning of being still until I hit rock bottom.One woman would always repeat the same Bible verse to me every time I would start to cry to her. She would always tell me, "Be still , and know that He is God." I will never forget those words because those are the only words that I held on to during the darkest days of my life.

Being still is being silent. You can't be still when you are filled with the noise of the world. And only it is when you are silent that you can really listen. Listen to what, you ask? Listen to that little voice inside you that will tell you what to do. The voice is so small yet very clear, that you won't be able to hear it if you are not being still. It is a voice that cannot be heard by the ear, but by the heart. Being silent will give us the ability to listen. See how the same letters are in both words, S, I, L, E, N, T and L.I.S.T.E.N.

And just like the leaves, when the wind finally blew, it brought the leaves to their next destination. God is like the wind, He will bring us to our next stop but only after we have finished the purpose He set out for us.
Everything is according to His perfect will.

So the next time you see dry leaves on the ground, instead of crushing it under your feet, understand that wherever you are in your life right now, whether at the top or rock bottom, the leaves have so many lesson to teach us about patience and being still.

Or, you can start picking them up and put them to where they are supposed to be.:)



0 comments

Articles Featured on

Articles Featured on

Ads