10 Things I Learned About Love from Paulo Coelho



Photo:raftulcuidei.ro

I love reading Paulo Coelho's books. They have a certain kind of wisdom that I feel I can relate
and can practice to in life.

The last book I finished about a week ago was "By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept". I know 
that this has been out for quite some time, but I never really had the chance to actually read it. If "The
Alchemist" was about finding life's treasures, this one, I was surprised,was about love. 

I have read other Paulo Coelho's books and each has a distinct topic like "By the River Piedra... "
which was about love and forgiveness, and the female face of God ; and" The Witch of Portobello" 
was about women power, or the female face of God, and "The Winner Stands Alone" was about
 fame and fortune.

One thing that I liked about the book "By the River Piedra..." was that it mentioned about the 
Charismatic rituals or traditions which I totally related to. I also have been baptized in the spirit, 
meaning, I have accepted the Holy Spirit and its gifts in my life. 

I remember someone who asked me about what I meant when I mentioned "praying in tongues", 
because to some, this is quite something weird and different. But this book can help give an overview 
of what is "praying in tongues" like. But this is another story.

The book was also about choosing between love of God (vocation) and love for a woman. 
(Spoiler!! I'm sorry about that if you haven't read the book yet).

And I digress, since this book is about love, I did learn quite a few things and gained wisdom on 
what love is that I have not known before. You may or may not agree to some that some of these 
definition or portrayal of love is true.

 I have listed them below:

Photo: livinglifepoetically.com



1.       All love stories are the same.
       This one I'm not sure. It's not the same for me anyway.

2.       The wise are only wise because they love. And the foolish are foolish only because they think they can understand love.
      No one can really ever fathom the complexities of love, so I guess, pretending to know so much about love would be foolish.

3.       Love is much like a dam; if you allow a tiny crack to form through which only a trickle of water can pass, that trickle will quickly bring down the whole structure, and soon no one will be able to control the force of the current.For when those walls come down, then love takes over, and it no longer matters what is possible or impossible; it doesn’t even matter whether we can keep the loved one at our side.
      This is why I am afraid to let this happen to me.

4.       To love is to lose control.
       This one too..scary..

5.       Love is a trap. When it appears, we see only its light, not its shadows.

6.       Love’s path is really complicated…because on that path, we can go either to heaven or hell.

7.       Love doesn’t need to be discussed; it has its own voice and speaks for itself.

8.       Love is always new. Regardless of whether we love once, twice or a dozen times in our life, we always face a brand new situation.

9.       Love can consign us to hell or to paradise, but it always takes us somewhere.


10.   The moment we seek love, love begins to seek us.

And here my dear readers is why we continue to love despite being hurt at times.


Still keeping the faith,





0 comments

Articles Featured on

Articles Featured on

Ads