The Grace in Waiting

"O come, o come Emmanuel,
And ransom captive Israel.
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear.
Rejoice, rejoice!
Emmanuel
Shall come to thee , O Israel"

commons.wikimedia.org


This is an advent song which I vividly remember singing in church when I was younger. Having studied in a Catholic school from Kindergarten to High School, I can pretty much say that I had my share of traditional Church songs and was only introduced to modern worship songs lately, when I become a Catholic Charismatic.

Advent means the arrival of a notable person, thing or event, as described in an ordinary dictionary. But in Christian theology, it means the first season of the Christian church year, leading up to Christmas including the four preceding Sundays.

In short, it's the wait for Christmas.

Its' just ten days before Christmas,it is still Advent. Everybody, especially my kids are excited now. We had started shopping for their outfits for their Christmas Party in school. This is one of the highlights of a student's life and it's a shame if they missed it.

As early as today, we have already made our Christmas shopping list, our menu for the Christmas dinner and most of all we are preparing ourselves spiritually for the coming  or the birth of our Lord Jesus. Because we are waiting for the coming or arrival of someone very significant in our life, we do the necessary preparations.



I have been single for at least a couple of years, and when friends start to ask me why, I sometimes change to "panic mode" and I transform from a sweet person to a grumpy one. And to make matters worse, my exes are already married and are having babies and starting new lives with their new families. I would be dishonest if I say I am not a bit jealous. Well I am, but only because they have found new love and not because I still desire them. I always say to myself that the right person will come at the right time.

As I reflected on the meaning of Advent, I realized that I can use the same principle in waiting for that special man in my life. I have no calling to become a nun, nor have I any ambition of becoming a saint, that is way too hard to do. So yes, I need a man in my life.

But I am one impatient woman. I hate waiting, as much as I used to hate surprises. I am that woman who would roll her eyes when someone cuts in line and if I'm feeling bitchy that day, I'd tell that to their faces. I am that woman who would drum her fingers just to show her impatience when the cashiers at grocery stores are showing no sense of urgency in tending other customers thinking that the only time that is important is theirs.

But waiting for a man to come into your life is something that you have no control over. You can date all you want, but you can't drum your fingers on tables to show how impatient you are becoming. You can't say to a man's face," hey, why are you and I not together, we should be." This is one part where being bitchy absolutely won't work.



Waiting for that special someone needs some special preparations too, not just on the outside, but more on the inside. Of course physical appearance matters, but it's really your character and personality that attracts people to want to be with you. And the waiting period is just the right time for you to prepare for the coming of that special someone.

I have read from an article that it's actually the subconscious that dictates whether we are ready for a relationship or not. I mean, sometimes, we say we want to be in a relationship, but we are not really doing something about it. Our subconscious sends out the opposite signal and so we are getting the opposite of what we think we want. That is why, at the waiting period, you already start preparing for the new and better relationship by setting into your subconscious the ideal person and relationship you want.

Deepak Chopra also said that to manifest your soul mate, you have to be the qualities that you want ideal in someone. The waiting period is the time to do just that. Work on yourself to be the qualities that you so want and you will attract the soul mate.

Recommended reading: Soulmates According to Deepak

There really is grace in waiting. Perhaps it may not be too obvious because we are blinded by our impatience. But think about it, if we waited long enough for something, then it must be so special.

Meanwhile, I am still waiting for him. I think he just got delayed. :)


But I'm still keeping the faith,

Mei



0 comments

Articles Featured on

Articles Featured on

Ads