Herbs and Oils : What You Need to Know




There’s a new trend that has come up in the last 2 years and that is oiling. I never thought that “oiling” is a word, but it has become a term that means the use of oil to heal or give temporary relief to some of our ailments.  

  

Originally, oiling refers to the process where leather is hand coated with either a raw or a combo of raw oil, blended with emulsified oils and penetrating aids. It is supposed to give the leather the lubrication that it needs for it to be flexible.  

Wow, isn’t that way different from its original meaning!

But it doesn’t discount the fact that oil helps a lot in helping us with our discomfort. It has been used since the time of our ancestors and whether you know it or not you’ve been oiling since you were a kid. I have my oils, what we call “banios” in my dialect. We use it on our babies (aciete de manzanilla or alcamforado) when they have flatulence. It reaaally helps in soothing down baby’s tummy aches.  

My version of the “banios” is my ever trusted San Sierra and White Flower (which is camphor oil). I also use a drop of lavender oil to calm my nerves before I go to sleep. Lavender oil promotes relaxation. My mom is a fan of the Healing Galing oil.  So see, you are really using oil in your everyday life whether you are aware of it or not.   

Because oiling has become trendier, thanks to aromatherapy, it has become a lifestyle. Moms are into mixing oils, creating their own blend of oils and it also has become a way to earn extra income. I know a lot of companies that are into oils like Doterra , Young Living Essentials and Plant Therapy to name a few. But I think the best oils that you can use is the one you mixed yourself, or mixed by someone you trust. Remember that oils an also be harmful to your skin if not used properly. A bad mixture of oil can be harmful than helpful to you. Make sure that the oil you use are essential oils and not some synthetic oil that can be bought anywhere.

Essential oils are expensive because of the process of extracting the oil.

There is a lot more to learn about oil. I will blog about this in a different post. 

Do you know the thing that comes to people’s minds when they hear you are into oil and herbs? It’s also the reason why some are apprehensive of using oils and herbs. Witchcraft.  Yes, Wicca (a religion or a sect that practice white magick) use herbs and oils in preparing potions.  But, it does not necessarily mean that when you use herbs and oils, you are practicing witchcraft.

What about herbs?

Herbs, as you know helps bring out the flavor in our food. But there’s more to it than just a flavor enhancer. Again, going back to our grandparents’ time, herbs were used more than they use medicines. There is a corresponding herb for every ailment you have. 

Oregano is a good flavor enhancer and also a good cough reliever. My kids used to have asthma attacks. Thank God, they are over that phase now, but there came a time when my daughter was the one who told me that she does not want to take any more medicine or use the nebulizer for her asthma. So I opted for herbs. 

Oregano and tuba-tuba to the rescue! 

I once aspired of making a herb garden, but I stopped when my indoor garden plants died due to hot weather. I would love to have an indoor garden with lots of herbs, oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme , you name it, maybe someday. 

If you are interested in mixing or creating your own signature blends of oils and wants to know more about the many uses of herbs, there are a lot of information online, but I can only advice you to practice due diligence. I am suggesting you check out this Herbs and Oils bundle that I got for a very reasonable price.

If you want to try something easy, here’s a recipe that’s easy to make. (If you’re looking for oils, you can find some at Chemworld –for Philippines only )

“A New You” Body Oil
( from Aromahead Institute)
1 oz (30 ml) jojoba (Simmondsia chinensis)
5 drops Green Mandarin (Citrus reticulata)
5 drops Cypress (Cupressus sempervirens)
2 drops Geranium (Pelargonium x asperum)

Make this blend in a 1 oz (30ml) glass bottle. Combine the jojoba and essential oils , then shake gently.
That’s it! 

If you are in need of more recipes or if you are planning to start your all natural /organic beauty products, you might want to check out this super bundle.This super bundle is full of information you need to know about herbs and oils. 





0 comments

Articles Featured on

Articles Featured on

Ads