I Have a Dream : Birthday Musings

 

It is just a few days after Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, because of a writing project, I needed to read on some of MLK Jr.'s speeches.  I was inspired about his "I have a Dream" speech and the anaphora which showed much of his passion.

 

I am no MLKjr, but I have my own version of I Have a Dream.  It's not a speech but  my thoughts as my birthday comes to an end. A year older, I realized that I have hold off on acting on my dreams and used "work" as an excuse. So here goes.

 


I have a dream. (channeling MLKjr)


I dream to open a shelter for women who are victims of domestic abuse where they will learn how to stand up on their own, be empowered, earn and start a new life; a place where they can get free legal assistance and have counselors who will walk them through the processes. 
 
 
The legal process itself is very overwhelming, sometimes the people who are supposed to help will just send you from office to office.


One of the reasons why women in very abusive relationship stay with their spouses or partners is because they don't know what to do and where to go. Sometimes they have the courage to leave, but they soon go back after a couple of days. Why? Because of codependency and they don't have the resources to raise their children on their own.


If you've watched the movie "Maid" on Netflix, you'd understand what I mean. But more than the movie, I experienced this myself. And as I think about the last 10 yrs, I realized that maybe, just maybe this is why I had to experience what I did, so that I can help others who are experiencing it now. You'd understand why if you back read my blog posts from 2010-2014.


I have always had this thought for years, even before I've watched "Maid", and especially when I see women and children on the streets, but, I push it to the back of my mind because, who am I to have this dream? I had this feeling nagging at me once again when I saw a woman and her kids lying on the ground with their bags beside them. 


It's scary, because you could face the wrath of the abusive spouses. And thinking about funding, where do I get that? This is an advocacy and advocacy do not work without funds. 


I have a dream.
 

I dream that women in distress can easily get help from authorities without having to go to the station like an app where they can download, click on a number and authorities are alerted without the abuser knowing. I dream of an app that has the capability of locating the nearest Women's Desk and shelter they can go to. 
 
 
I have a dream to have at least one privately run shelters in every city. Yes there is the local DSWD but they are already up to their necks with other concerns. If you've been to some night care facilities, you'd feel as if you are in jail, which should not be the case because you are the victim here. I know for a fact because I have been there.
 

Delinquent juveniles and rescued women in distress and their children are placed in a room where there are actual bars like a prison cell. Maybe not in all, but I can say it is so because the one I've slept in has bars on the doors.


I dream of a shelter where women and children will feel safe and as if they were in their own homes.
I know that this takes a lot of planning, work and heart. Do I have the energy to make this come into fruition?


Now that I set this out here, maybe the Universe will help me make this a reality.  
 

Happy 46th Birthday to Me! 
 


Are you trapped in a narcissistic relationship? Follow my page on Facebook Keep the Narc Away for narcissistic relationship awareness.


0 comments

Articles Featured on

Articles Featured on

Ads